Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Hungry Child

Our visit in Kompongcham was a favorite of mine because there were children everywhere, and because we were able to give them school supplies.  It was a delight to witness how happy they were with their notebooks, rulers, and pens. 

As I began scanning the crowd of Cambodians listening intently to the sermon I saw a little boy that caught my attention.  He had a huge, angelic smile and he seemed so content to wader around, sitting first with one group of children, then moving to sit with another.  What had originally piqued my interest was the condition of his little, emaciated body, so skinny you could count his ribs.  I watched throughout the ceremony, always with that smile, and I couldn't help but to fall in love with him.  Later, after the distribution I found him as he was leaving and handed him a banana and a hug, and he gifted me with his smile.  I looked then to his mother, also so thin, and though we could not communicate in words her eyes revealed her deep sorrow to me.

I can only pray that the rice they received will feed their thin bodies and that they had received the bread of life for their souls.







No comments:

Post a Comment